The Senate is the legislative arm of the Student Government. It also serves as the Board of Directors of the corporation. The Senate is composed of 24 voting members, two elected from each of the eight Colleges, two lower and upper division students, two graduate students, the Vice President and the President who serves as Chair. Associated Students is the official seat of student governance for the campus. The Student Government division represents the student body, advocates their needs, and defends their interests in dealings with faculty, campus administrators and government officials.
What is the Senate (Board of Directors):
Members of the Senate will have the opportunity to develop skills in: parliamentary procedure, decision making/critical analysis, goal setting, communication, group processing and multiculturalism.
Serving on the Senate enables students to apply what they learn in the classroom to real-life situations as they gain a more thorough understanding of fiscal issues, personnel matters, marketing and public relations.
Members of the Senate:
- Serve as one of the 24 students representing a 33,000+ student body
- Gain valuable leadership experience
- Initiate and approve policy and legislation
- Preside over a multi-million dollar operating budget
- Serve on committees that affect change on campus
- Network with people from various backgrounds
- Work with faculty and campus administrators